Support for Ukraine
We are all affected by the terrible events happening in Ukraine. For some, especially those with military experience, it is frustrating having spent a service career defending freedom and democracy, to be unable to do something on the ground.
Many of us want to do our bit to support those who have been forced to flee their homes because of the invasion. You can find out how you can help by following this link:
Support for Veterans
The Veterans Minister, Leo Docherty, has also highlighted the support available to the Armed Forces Community through the Service Charity Sector and key stakeholders for all those in the community who find their mental health and wellbeing affected by the war. Please find details below:
- Details on Op Courage and the NHS support available for veterans in England can be found here: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/armed-forces-and-veterans-healthcare/veterans-nhs-mental-health-services/
- Support can also be accessed through Veterans UK’s helpline, which can link callers to the Samaritans veterans’ programme. Find out more here: https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/military/samaritans-veterans-app/
- The Veterans’ Gateway has an around the clock support service: https://www.veteransgateway.org.uk/
- NHS Wales has a Veteran Therapist (VT) in each Local Health Board (LHB): https://www.veteranswales.co.uk/
- NHS Scotland has health resources dedicated to veterans: https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/health-rights/access/health-rights-for-veterans#health-resources-for-veterans
- The Northern Ireland Veterans’ Support Office (NIVSO) is the lead support and signposting service linking individual veterans, veterans’ groups, statutory and non-statutory bodies, and charities supporting veterans in Northern Ireland: https://nivso.org.uk/
Providing a home to Ukrainian refugees
Any tenant wishing to offer a spare room in their home should first consult the Government’s guidance here https://homesforukraine.campaign.gov.uk/
If you are considering making an application to be added to the register for housing Ukrainian refugees, in accordance with the conditions of HHT tenancies, you must seek permission in writing via email@example.com
This must be done before the application is made to the Government website. Haig Housing Trust will issue further guidance on a case-by-case basis.