90km Virtual Challenge
On 2 April 1982, Argentine forces invaded and occupied the Falkland Islands.
25,948 UK Armed Forces personnel, alongside around 3,000 civilian crew from the Merchant Navy and Royal Fleet Auxiliary formed the Task Force involved in the liberation of the Falkland Islands.
Following several weeks of intense fighting, Argentine forces surrendered on 14 June 1982.
255 personnel lost their lives during the campaign.
90km Virtual Challenge – 2 April to 14 June
After disembarking from ships at San Carlos on East Falkland, on 21 May 1982, Royal Marines and members of the Parachute Regiment yomped (and tabbed) with their equipment across the islands, covering 56 miles (90 km) in three days carrying 80-pound (36 kg) loads.
We are inviting you to join us to cover 90km during the commemorative period with partner Hidden Warriors CIC. We are taking every step in memory of those who lost their lives and raising funds for our Veterans.
How to take part
You can Yomp, walk, cycle, run, swim, row or anything else you do
You could walk 1km per day, 3km for 30 days or do the whole 90km in one day.
- Purchase special commemorative Falkands Virtual Challenge T-Shirt
- Begin your challenge and record your progress on your own App or via the template sent with your T-shirt
- Fundraise for Haig Housing and Hidden Warriors CIC using our event fundraising page – or you can set up your own fundraising page (GoFundMe / JustGiving)
- Share your progress on social media and tag Hidden Warriors CIC and Haig Housing Trust
- When you’ve completed your challenge, send proof by email to email@example.com (proof can be a photo of your recordings)
- You’ll then get your Falklands Virtual Challenge completion medal
Falklands 40th Anniversary 90km Virtual Challenge T-Shirt
Virtual challenge partners
Haig Housing Trust provides housing to Veterans and their families in need
Hidden Warriors CIC provides supportive assistance to the families (Children & Partners) of the UK Armed Forces Veterans Community and on a case by case basis helps non-Veteran families.
Other commemorative events
The Royal British Legion will commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Conflict with an event at the National Memorial Arboretum, details are here