If you have problems paying your rent

At Haig, we provide homes to improve the lives of Veterans and their families. We understand that your home is everything. We also understand that things can get overwhelming at times; getting advice is often the first step to putting you back in control.

There are many pressures on us all at the moment. Reductions in Universal Credit, increases in fuel bills and other expenses place a huge strain on finances. Combined with the end of the Furlough scheme, which may create more redundancies or changes to working hours, the future may be looking a little uncertain for you.

If you think you might struggle to pay your rent, don’t ignore the problem. Talk to us as soon as possible. Whether the problem is caused by a change of circumstances, a budgeting difficulty or a cut in benefits, you can take some important steps to help get yourself back in control.

It’s understandable that you might be afraid of explaining you’re going to be late with the rent but it’s far better to get the issue out in the open.

Please contact the Incomes Team at Haig Housing as soon as you think that there might be a problem. Jan, Lorna and Toni have many years of experience in housing and in helping people. If they can’t you help directly, they can signpost you to where you can get help.

There are some practical steps that you can also take such as adding notes to your Universal Credit journal to say that you are a Veteran or a partner (this includes ex-partners) or if you have mental health issues – these can be picked up as alerts by the Armed Forces Champion and by other initiatives run by the DWP.

020 8685 5777 (option 2)


Don’t wait - Seek advice - Get help

There are many agencies which can provide support:

Universal Credit: www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Local Housing allowance - Local Authority (Where the claimant or both claimants are over state benefit age)

Benefit Calculator www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Council Tax reduction - Local Authority

Pension Credits www.gov.uk/pension-credit

Income Support Scheme for the Self Employed www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/

Discretionary Housing Payments: www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

Armed Forces Champions DWP London and Essex

U Switch www.uswitch.com/


Citizens Advice Bureau

Telephone: For England call 03444 111 444 For Wales: 03444 772 020 For Scotland 0808 800 0006 free from mobiles
Alternatively you can contact your local office, details can be found at the following website.
Website: www.citizensadvice.org.uk


Telephone: 0808 800 44 44
Free housing advice line available Monday - Friday 8.00am – 8.00pm and 9.00am – 5.00pm Weekends
Website: www.shelter.org.uk


National Debt Line

Telephone: 0808 808 4000 Monday – Friday 9.00am to 8.00pm and 9.30am to 1.00pm Saturdays.

Step Change

Telephone: 0800 138 1111 Monday – Friday 8.00am – 8.00pm and 8.00am to 4pm Saturdays. https://www.stepchange.org/


Veterans Gateway

Telephone: 0808 802 1212 Available 7 days a week 24 hours a day
Text: 81212
Website: www.veteransgateway.org.uk

SSAFA: The Armed Forces Charity

By Post: SSAFA, 4 St Dunstan’s Hill, London, EC3R 8AD
Telephone: 0800 731 4880 Monday – Friday 9.00am – 5.30pm (Message service available at all other times)
Website: www.ssafa.org.uk

Royal British Legion

By Post: Royal British Legion, 199 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1AA
Telephone: 0808 802 8080 Available 7 days a week between 8.00am – 8.00pm
Website: www.britishlegion.org.uk

Veterans UK

Post: Veterans UK, MOD, Norcross, Thonton Cleveleys, FY5 3WP
Email: Veterans-uk@mod.uk
Telephone: 0808 1914 218 Monday – Friday 8.00am – 5.00pm
Website: www.gov.uk/veterans-uk