And the Winner is HAIG HOUSING
Haig Housing wins major award for Manchester development
“And the winner is Haig Housing!” Canada Street project awarded “Best Regeneration (outside London)”at the Inside Housing Development Awards 2017.
Aside from the category we won, the project was also a finalist in the ‘Best Partnership’ category. The success is a testament to all the companies, individuals, volunteers and suppliers that gave their time and effort so generously to enable the BBC DIYSOS builds in Manchester to be so successful. This project has lifted an edge of city area, bringing empty homes back into use housing Veterans alongside the local community thanks to this unique partnership.
As part of the project, which took place in three phases, 57 properties over two streets were externally facelifted with 25 empty, derelict houses being fully refurbished and converted into 17 homes for Veteran families. In addition a shared occupancy house for Veterans accessing training, and a support centre for the community run by Walking with the Wounded was created.
The project went on to feature in three episodes of ‘DIY SOS: Big Build Veterans’ Specials’ and received the Royal seal of approval as HRH Prince William and Harry visited to lend a hand!
The Inside Housing Development Awards 2017 drew together over 650 professionals from the housing and development sector and in total there were over 100 projects who were finalists in 16 awards handed out on the night. To win such a competitive award amongst highlights the success of the project.
The full list of Inside Housing Development Awards 2017 winners are:
- Best affordable housing development (urban): Peabody
- Best approach to modular construction: Swan
- Best affordable housing development (rural/surbuban): Derwenthorpe
- Best Build to Rent development: Be Living
- Best older people’s housing development (more than 100 homes): North Tyneside Living
- Best older people’s housing development (under 100 homes): Pollard Thomas Edwards
- Best shared ownership development: Bield Housing and Care
- Best development team: Newlon Housing Trust
- Best sales and marketing team: L&Q
- Best partnership: Ocean Housing
- Best regeneration project (London): Eastend Homes
- Best regeneration project (outside London): Haig Housing Trust
- Best architectural design: Brick by Brick
- Best deal: Homes and Communities Agency and MMR Construction
The next Haig Housing development is almost complete in Morden of Parry Court. This new build of eight 1-bedroom homes will complete over Christmas 2017. To the other side of the estate in Morden the Trust has just broken ground on site in its largest development of modern times, 68 new build homes ranging from 1-bedroom to 4-bedroom to complete in 2019.