The need for housing for ex-Service men and women is increasing and we are always looking at ways to build and acquire more properties to help meet that need. Haig has seen a 30% increase in housing applications in the last three years whilst our housing stock has grown by only 3.4% in the same period. In London and the South East, demand is very high with at least 11 eligible applicants for every available home.
We own over 1,400 properties around the United Kingdom in over 80 local authorities. This presents a challenge but, also oppurtunities as we have land and property available to possibly develop to meet our charitable objects. We are also keen to expand into new areas of proven demand from ex-Service men and women.
Current & Recent Developments
Canada Street and New Street, Manchester
This innovative collaboration between Haig Housing Trust, BBC DIY SOS, Walking with the Wounded, Manchester City Council and Adactus Housing attracted a number of industry awards including:
- UKHA National 2016
- RICS Regional Award Winner 2016
- RICS National Runner-up 2016
- LABC Regional Award Winner 2016
- Regional Construction Awards Winner 2016
BBC DIY SOS and Manchester City Council, aided by hundreds of generous supporters from the building and construction industry including Kier, Wates, BTP, Willmott Dixon, ISG, Arcus and smaller businesses and tradespersons giving up materials and their time for free.
Together we refurbished and converted 8 derelict and empty homes in Canada Street, Newton Heath. These properties were transferred from Adactus Housing and Manchester CC as they were a liability and have now provided 3 wonderful homes as featured on “BBC DIY SOS: Homes for Veterans” special. There was also created a project office and temporary accommodation for Walking with the Wounded to assist the training and job placement of UK Veterans in industry. The project received the Royal seal of approval when HRH Prince Harry and HRH Prince William visited to lend their support.
The second phase of this project saw the return of BBC DIY SOS for a special show fitting out the final home for the last ex-serviceman to move into in November 2016.
Parry Court, Morden, Surrey
We are currently on site turning a former derelict café and warden’s house within a Conservation area into 8 x 1-bedroom homes for single veterans in an attractive courtyard development.
Visit www.mordenredevelopment.org for more information and to view the plans.
Veterans Accommodation Pathways in Aldershot and Colchester:
In partnership with Riverside Care and Support and the Stoll Foundation, we are providing a pathway for homeless ex-Service men and women experiencing difficulties to move from supported housing into independent living.
We are actively acquiring properties in Aldershot and Colchester to provide the last stage of the pathway when Veterans are able to live without support. Aldershot and Colchester are exciting locations for us to be involved in due to the demand from ex-service men and women who wish to remain in the area that they have been garrisoned and where they are able to access support.
What are we interested in?
We’re always interested in new opportunities to provide more homes to house ex-Service persons:
- Land and property - We are interested in acquiring suitable sites and buildings for future development or refurbishment for veterans. Please contact us if you have land to sell or would like to find our more about the kind of sites that might interest us.
- Partnership - We always want to work with others who share our drive and vision to deliver affordable homes for ex-Service persons. We are interested in providing charitable assistance to ex-service persons whether that be in property we own or through other forms such as shared ownership, rent to buy or referring applicants on.
- Section 106 - The planning system often requires that affordable social housing is provided on new residential developments through Section 106 requirement. We set our rents at a charitable level, which in most cases is comparable to the Social rent, to ex-Service persons who are great neighbours and an asset to any community. If you are looking for a landlord partner offering affordable rents, we are a good option should you wish to offer an element of your new development where rents are set at Social or Affordable rate.
- Joint Ventures - To deliver our development aspirations in certain areas. We look at all opportunities to continue our growth, and through join ventures and partnerships we are keen to work with others that share our ambitions.
- Contacts - if you can put us in touch with anyone who shares our charity’s aims or can aid us in housing ex-service persons, please contact us.
Contact the Development team
To find out more about Haig Housing, talk about potential opportunities, ideas you may have or discuss any aspects of our delivery programme, please contact us through the Addresses and Contacts page.
We are happy to answer your questions, and explore sale, partnership and development opportunities.
- Director of Housing and Development
- 0208 685 5777
- Email: email@example.com
- Development Manager
- 07518 030892
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org